By Ozlem Warren - http://ozlemsturkishtable.com/
This vibrant and healthy Piyaz Salad gets ready in no time and it is so delicious. Red onions and tomatoes work very well with the tangy sumac; Turks traditionally enjoy this salad with Lahmacun. It is also a lovely salad served with cheese, olives and hummus.
- 3 medium tomatoes, quartered and roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 15ml/1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 10 ml/2 teaspoon ground sumac
- ½ teaspoon paprika flakes – optional –
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Rub and work sumac and the salt into the onion slices with your hands really well (this will soften the onions and help spices infuse in well).Stir in the chopped tomatoes, parsley and paprika flakes, combine well.
Serve Piyaz Salad with feta cheese, olives and/or hummus for a delicious spread. Piyaz Salad is also the ultimate accompaniment of Lahmacun and Turkish meatballs, kofte.